Mosquito pools in many Boston neighborhoods have tested positive for West Nile Virus (WNV), and although it has not been identified within the city, “triple E” or Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus has been found in surrounding towns
It is important that everyone take simple precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.
- Use a mosquito repellent.
- Wear protective clothing such as long sleeved shirts, long pants and socks.
- Try to limit time outdoors between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Make sure window and door screens don’t have holes in them.
- Mosquitoes need water to breed, so make sure items like kiddie pools and old tires don’t collect water, or that you clean them out regularly.
Please see a fact sheet below to protect yourself and family from WNV and other mosquito-borne illnesses: